March 29, 2012

Photo Album Cookbook

I’ve been looking for an ideal cookbook for awhile now, years actually. Finally, I think I’ve come up with a format that will work. I bought an inexpensive photo album at Walmart. It hold 4x6 photos, which means it also can hold 4x6 index cards. Stamping index cards is super easy and a fun way to make personalized recipe cards.

For recipes that won’t fit completely on the front of the card, I knew I didn’t want to have to take the cards out to read what might be on the back. Because there is so much room in the album, I figured I would just use two cards and an additional space in the album. This way I can read the whole recipe without removing any cards.

Another fun thing about this idea is that 4x6 photos of the recipe could be added. If it the book were made to be a gift, photos of the recipient (e.g., eating a special family recipe) could be included. I think this would be a fun project for a shower gift or for someone moving out on his or her own for the first time.

The album has a window to add a photo or, more importantly, one’s own inky image. Kind of a fun touch. I also think SU!’s Hodge Podge hardware or something comparable would be a fun to add to the cover. Someone more adventurous could even try stamping on the cover. I had to much time invested in the project to risk botching it up with a failed stamping attempt and didn’t want to have to figure out a way to fix it and I didn’t have any SU! hardware. To me, hardware would be the safer bet.

The cover is fabric so I think I will try to find a water-repellant spray to seal it.

Cookbook 3

Instead of dividing the recipes into categories, I decided to stamp a category on each card. This gives some sort of organization and quick reference without being as burdensome (in my mind) as maintaining individual categories. I used the same layout for each card but varied the color for interest.Cookbook 2

Here is an example of how I will be using two cards for one recipe. Also, you can see how a blank pocket could be used to hold a photo.Cookbook 1

Stamps: Flourishes; PTI; WMS
Ink: SU!; Memento Tuxedo Black
Other: Copics; index cards; photo album

6 comments:

  1. What a good idea! Love the picture in the cover and I think the cards look souper (sorry couldn't resist) :)) Have you stamped the cards too?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fantastic idea! I love the strawberries on the front cover. I have a drawer full of recipes (I'm a bit of a collector) that need to be put into a book...maybe I should invite you over...;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great idea Kate! I have a nephew who just turned 13 and is really getting into cooking and I was thinking about some kind of birthday gift that would be appropriate for that - this is perfect! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pretty! I'm also always looking for ideas like this! Love your idea! I would definitely add photos, 'cause I know that that more easily convinces me to actually prepare the recipe, hi hi. Love your color code and the front is so beautiful!!!
    Hugs, Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cool idea! Excellent gift idea:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful...as your work always is!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails