August 3, 2011

WMS August SOAP-Day 3

     It’s day 3 of the Waltzingmouse Stamps Stamp of Approval Parade. Tomorrow is the final day and the official start of the CASE competition. Check back tomorrow for all of the deets.
     Yep, you guessed it. I am continuing on with more backgrounds from sets released this past July. I’m running out of days and haven’t even used half of the released sets. Can’t help it, I was just really drawn to the cameos and ovals this month.

    When I make a background:

I always experiment on scratch paper first. It’s how I come up with my ultimate design and avoid wasting cardstock. It also allows me to get a feel for how the stamps line up with each other, and to see what fits and what doesn’t.

I always make mistakes, but I try my best to incorporate the mistake into my design or hope I can cover it up in the finished layout. If not, I cut it out and try to salvage what remains. In art, a consistent wrong can become a right.

I never manage to get everything lined up straight, to heck with it; I try to cover it up the same way I do my mistakes. The beauty of the human eye is that it naturally compensates for unevenness. Of course, a discerning eye can always spot where I am off, but remember that most people aren’t looking for the mistakes, they’re looking at the beauty.

Cameos 5

     I used Text It and Cameos to Go for this background. I had an open space I wanted to fill and the little scrolled fan image from Vintage Labels 2 fit perfectly, both size and style wise. First, I stamped all the scrolled oval frames (starting in the center of the paper and working out), then I stamped the cameos. Next, I came back and filled in with the fan image. Lastly, I stamped a Text It image over everything.

Cameos 1

     For this background, I started by stamping the small heart/leaf cross from Cameo Creations in the (what I perceive to be and never is) center of my card. From there I used the coordinating oval from the same set and stamped all around the cross, coming back to alternate between the cross and the oval to complete the design. Then I came back and stamped the solid oval from Ovals-Classic Frames (check closely, it’s not lined up at all but it doesn’t really affect the overall image). Lastly, I stamped the couple over the solid oval. And there you have it! I am supposing visuals would be more helpful. I will try to do that in the future.

Cameos 2

Cameos 4

Cameos 3

Stamps: Waltzingmouse Stamps Text It, Cameo Creations,Cameo to Go, Vintage Labels 2 (small scroll fan), Sweethearts (large I Love You), Ovals-Classic Frames
Ink: SU! Peach Parfait, Soft Suede, Pool Party, Island Indigo
Paper: SU! Peach Parfait, Soft Suede, Pool Party, Island Indigo, Lucky Limeade
Ribbon: PTI Hawaiian Shores grosgrain; Unknown Lucky Limeade look-alike grosgrain (better match IRL)
Other:
i-rock Crystal Hot Rocks; Spellbinders Grand Calibur, Nestabilities

And please be sure to continue clicking on through the parade, there is a lot more design team eye candy to see!

Anya Schrier
Claire Brennan (Creative diva extraordinaire)
Jennifer Holmes
Julia Aston
Kate Whelan (Me)
Laurie Schmidlin
Lynn Mercurio
Mona Pendleton
Sarah Martina Parker
Tosha Leyendekker

8 comments:

  1. STUNNING!!
    And I'm SO borrowing your ideas!!
    I couldn't find a single mistake...
    though I was captured by the beauty...
    just like you said! :)
    GORGEOUS!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - you just keep stamping out these wonderful backgrounds Kate! Thanks for sharing your technique - and letting us know they don't always line up on first try!!! Wonderful colors and designs on these! the subtle text background adds so much - almost without us noticing it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love both the backgrounds you created - so elegant! I'm one of those who gets worried about lining up and I liked your words "most people aren't looking for mistakes..."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow!!! I love how you put different stamps together! Very inspiring! Thanks for sharing a little about the process of how you get to your end product. Stunning backgrounds! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely! The blue card is SO striking. But I love how you used the two cameos facing each other in combination with the sentiment - just wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are truly awesome - you do make the most wonderful backgrounds with these stamps - I think I may have to CASE them!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love love love these cards Kate!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kate you should start producing these on a cd they are so professional!
    Val x

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails