July 4, 2011

Free Spirit-Boy “Girl Style”

     Aloha, here is the gift I started making for my niece a year ago. I was afraid if I waited any longer to finish them they might not fit. I went through a lot of trial and error using different embossing powders and inks until I came up with something that I thought looked decent. By the time I got the first shoe done, I didn’t want to look at fun foam for a real long time.    Aloha 11

Aloha 8

Aloha 7

Aloha 6

     What I did was to stamp the hibiscus cluster from the Waltzingmouse Stamps set Free Spirit-Boy on fun foam using black pigment ink and embossing them with black embossing powder. The tip here is to use pigment ink that matches your embossing powder. I didn’t get very good results using Versamark.Aloha 10

     Because I was putting the flowers on black flip flops, I colored the backs and sides of each piece with a Black Bic Sharpie. I think this step would have been unnecessary if I used white flip flops.Aloha 9

     I colored the flowers with Copics and attached the crystals. All the pieces are arranged in the order they will be placed around the shoe’s band. I used 3 full flowers and 2 partial flowers. I embossed a total of 5 full flower trios.Aloha 5

     I used caulk on the shoe I made last year and it held up well. I thought caulk was a good choice because it is waterproof and stays flexible. I don’t know what brand I used on the other shoe (it was something different), but today the caulk wasn’t working nearly as well. Not sure if it was the type of caulk or because I was in a rush but I ended up supplementing with super glue and it turned out to be easier and seemed to bond quite well. The super glue didn’t need the elaborate clothespin set up to keep everything in place like the caulk did while it dried.

Aloha 3

Aloha 1

     An additional thought I had for this project would be to try it with white embossing powder on colored fun foam.

Stamps: Waltzingmouse Stamps Free Spirit-Boy, Free Spirit-Sentiments, Bitty Banners
Ink: Memento; VersaMagic Midnight Black
Paper: PTI Kraft; Neenah Classic Crest Solar White
Ribbon: PTI Summer Sunrise grosgrain
Other:
i-rock Crystal Hot Rocks; Copics; Unknown gift bag; Ranger Black Super Fine Detail embossing powder; Unknown flip flops

     Thanks for checking in and for a great July release. I am anxious to see what everyone makes with their new goodies! I will have to check in with my niece this summer to see how they have held up. I’d love to know if you decide to give the flip flops a try.

12 comments:

  1. Oh Kate!!! Those flip flops are to die for!! They're sooooo exquisite! And perfect for this season, too! Fab job!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG! Just like Ira wrote; these are to die for! Your niece is a lucky girl with her amazingly talented aunt. This is jaw dropping gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So very cute!! What an amazing idea to use those flowers on flip flops. I just got that set and now I can't wait to try it out. I like the tag that you made too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Kate! this is SO fun and creative and what a great gift for the 'wear flips all year long' generation!! Bet your niece loved these!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a truly fabulous idea!! I adore these flowers and just love the way you've used them to decorate the flip-flops!! The gift tag is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow!! They are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been out of the loop for a bit, so I'm just catching up. First of all, I hope that you're recovering well from your appendicitis attack.

    Second, the sandals. Fantastic!! So cute and creative - your niece will love these. You should make a pair for yourself. I would have had a hard time giving them up.

    Have a great weekend!
    Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Kate!

    Thanks for the lovely comments on my blog! I had so much fun reading them, love that!! Thse flipflops you created are gorgeous, sooo summery! Love those stamps, but I never would have thought of it to make this! Perfect idea!!!

    Hugs & happy day to you,
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  9. these are gorgeous, very creative!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hope you are doing well; maybe you're on vacation. Just dropping a line to let you know that I am thinking of you and looking forward to another stunning creation!
    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh WOW!!! how did I miss these!!! Superb project Kate, really cool!! love how these look!! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  12. STOP IT, KATE! This are unbelievable, how did you even think this idea up? These are the best looking flip flops I have ever seen! You should sell this in an Etsy store...I'll take six, hee!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails