April 5, 2010

Faux Sew

Here are two “faux sewed” dish towels I made using WMS Sewing Box – Hugs
I ironed some fabric onto Ultra Heat’nBond. I stamped the images in Palette Noir, ironed them to set the ink, roughly cut them out and then colored them with Copic markers. The markers really bleed on the fabric, which is why I cut the images apart before coloring them. I left a bit of extra fabric around each image because, even with heat setting, the black ink bleeds. The Copic ink bleeds the black ink off of the image onto the excess fabric. When the ink dried I trimmed the images, arranged them, and then ironed them according to the Heat‘nBond instructions. I cut a long thin strip of the H’nB to attach the ribbon. The coloring reminds me of batik or tie-dye. I thought this technique turned out so well with these stamps that I ordered Sewing Box – Christmas (I am anxious to color the bird red and use the holly and berries in place of the leaves and flowers). When I gave the towels away as gifts, the recipients said it looked like I had sewn them on.
If you look very closely you can see the reflection of my dog’s head on the oven door. And if you look really, really close you can see my dog’s best friend too!

Dishtowels 1

Dishtowels 2

Dishtowels 3

Cheers!

3 comments:

  1. This is a great project!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love these !! Gorgeous projects.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails